News and Events
A gift of JHSM membership is a thoughtful way to honor a friend, associate or loved one. They will receive a meaningful gift and you will be helping JHSM share our work and fulfill our mission.
The Jewish Historical Society of Michigan educates, celebrates and promotes awareness of the contributions of the Jews of Michigan to our state, our nation and the world. Throughout the year, we present docent-led tours of historic Jewish Detroit and Southeast Michigan and host interesting lectures, book discussions and film viewings. We publish Michigan Jewish History, an annual journal, and maintain the Jewish Yearbook Collection, the largest collection of yearbooks from Detroit-area high schools.
The Jewish Center Orchestra earned national prestige for its success in attracting world-renowned figures in composition and performances, mentoring and developing young talent and bringing world-class music and musicians to the Detroit area. Maestro Julius Chajes conducted the orchestra for more than two decades beginning in 1940.
Flora Hommel, a native Detroiter, is the founder of the Detroit-based, non-profit organization Childbirth Without Pain Education Association, which espouses and teaches the Lamaze method of natural childbirth, which Flora learned and brought to the United States from France.
In 1850, Sarah Cozens gathered a group of fellow German-Jewish immigrants and held religious services at her home, near this present-day location (at the Blue Cross/Blue Shield building in Detroit). Marcus Cohen conducted the services of the congregation which would be called the Bet El Society and is known today as Temple Beth El (Bloomfield Hills)
JCycle 2011 participants stop at the T-Plex building, in an industrial section known as Milwaukee Junction, which once housed Ford Motor Company’s first factory, research facility and offices. In 1908, Henry Ford developed the Model T here and among the many workers employed in the factories owned by various manufactures in the area were many Jewish immigrants.
Blanche Hart and Ida Koppel, two prominent Jewish women and members of Detroit’s Temple Beth El, decided to take a group of children to Belle Isle for a picnic and day in the fresh air. Their endeavor, on this sunny, August 1902 afternoon, became the first outing of the Fresh Air Society; known commonly today as Camp Tamarack.